The Conservation Studios
Our Conservation Studios are staffed by professionally trained accredited conservators. Read more about Conservation FAQs and Guidelines.
Preservation and Conservation
Prevention is better than cure, an important principle in the preservation of artifacts in museums and archives. Read more about Preservation and Conservation.
The Conservation Studios provides a varied range of treatments for conservation and preservation. [Click here for a leaflet]
The service is registered on the Conservation Register.
Services available to meet clients’ needs include:
- Conservation of archaeological objects, including stabilisation, cleaning, re-construction and repair.
- Binding and repair of volumes, parchment, paper, seals, maps, photographs and plans.
- Preparing documents for digitisation.
- Production of bespoke boxes and folders for documents and volumes.
- Collection condition surveys.
- Advice on object handling, storage, materials, exhibition and environmental management inc. Integrated Pest Management (IPM) strategies.
- Advice on collections care, object handling, storage materials, mounts and display methods.
- Training can be tailored to your institutions requirements covering handing, packaging, etc.
For conservation information and advice please contact:
Richard Aitken ACR, for archival materials inc paper, books, photographs and parchment
T: 01463 256444 M: 07825 116513
Jeanette Pearson ACR, for museum objects inc porcelain, pottery & glass
T: 01463 237114 or T: 015340 672236 (Highland Folk Museum)
For any conservation queries email: [email protected]