Archive collections in the care of the Highland Archive Service consist of documents in different formats from charters, minute books, correspondence and accounts, to maps, photographs and films.
The main series of official records held are those created by The Highland Council and its predecessors, the former Regional, County, District and Burgh Councils.
Among the many hundreds of privately deposited archives there are:
- Estate and family papers
- Business and industrial records
- Church records including kirk session and presbytery records for parishes in the presbyteries of Inverness, Ross, Sutherland, Lochcarron & Skye, and Moray (part) dating from c.1640
- Records of individuals, societies, and other local organisations
- Maps and plans, including estate maps and extensive holdings of Ordnance Survey plans dating from the 1860s
Each archive centre holds a unique collection of archive records for their specific area, to find out more please click on the relevant links below.
- Archives held in the Highland Archive Centre
- Archives held in the Caithness Archive Centre
- Archives held in the Lochaber Archive Centre
- Archives held in the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
Guides to Records
Never visited an archive before? Read our handy guides to help with your research.