Following on from the latest government announcement Highland Archive Service facilities in Inverness, Portree and Fort William are temporarily closed to the public until further notice.
Nucleus: The Nuclear and Caithness Archive is temporarily closed until further notice, however the staff are able to provide assistance remotely.
Summary of our updated procedures;
- Opening hours are three days per week with bookable slots between 10.00am – 12.30pm and 2.00pm – 4.30pm. This will be reviewed regularly, and changes made accordingly.
- Highland Archive Centre (Inverness) – Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
- Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre (Portree) – Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
- Lochaber Archive Centre (Fort William) – Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- You must make an appointment and pre-order all documents before visiting. Please do this a week in advance to ensure that the documents you require are available.
- We can provide access to original archive documents only, PCs, microfiche and microfiche readers and reference books. Access to ScotlandsPeople is not yet available.
- You must wear a face covering whilst in our buildings (exceptions accepted)
- Physical distancing and hand sanitising stations will be in place throughout our buildings.
- The buildings will close over lunchtime (12.30-2.00) to allow for enhanced cleaning of public areas.
- Please note that, in line with Scottish Government guidance, we will retain your name and contact details for use in Test and Protect for 21 days.
For more detailed guidance on what to expect during your visit, select the Centre you wish to use: