Archive Update – 17th August 2020
Highland Archive Service is pleased to welcome you back to our facilities. We are re-opening in a phased way to help us to ensure that our centres provide a safe space for all, and that our services can be delivered safely. It also gives us the opportunity to review our approach with the flexibility to adjust our plans accordingly as required.
Summary of our updated procedures;
- Opening hours are three days per week with bookable slots between 10.00am – 12.30pm and 2.00pm – 4.30pm. This will be reviewed regularly, and changes made accordingly.
- Highland Archive Centre (Inverness) – Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
- Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre (Portree) – Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
- Lochaber Archive Centre (Fort William) – Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- You must make an appointment and pre-order all documents before visiting. Please do this a week in advance to ensure that the documents you require are available.
- Initially we will be open to provide access to original archive documents only. Access to ScotlandsPeople, PCs, microfiche and microfiche readers and reference books is not yet available.
- You must wear a face covering whilst in our buildings (exceptions accepted)
- Physical distancing and hand sanitising stations will be in place throughout our buildings.
- The buildings will close over lunchtime (12.30-2.00) to allow for enhanced cleaning of public areas.
- Please note that, in line with Scottish Government guidance, we will retain your name and contact details for use in Test and Protect for 21 days.
For more detailed guidance on what to expect during your visit, select the Centre you wish to use: