The Highland Athlete Travel Award Scheme is designed to support performance or development athletes from Highland with their travel and accommodation costs for an agreed training and competition schedule outside of the Highland Region.
This pilot scheme is funded by sportscotland and High Life Highland and is administered locally by High Life Highland. The scheme can support individuals that are taking part in recognised sports. We hope it will make a real difference to the quality of sports performance for people living in Highland.
The overarching aim of this scheme is to improve opportunities for Highland athletes to participate, progress and achieve in sport by:
- Helping to prepare Scotland’s best athletes from Highland to perform on the national and international stage;
- Providing financial support for Highland athletes to access high performance expertise in sport;
- Helping Highland athletes to consistently achieve selection to national age grade, national GB programmes and ultimately winning on the world stage.
What do applications need to demonstrate?
A successful application to the Highland Athlete Travel Award Scheme will demonstrate that:
- There is a need for the funding to support the athlete’s training and competition programme;
- The athlete is committed to their training and competition programme;
- The athlete’s plans are well thought out and represent value for money;
- The athlete’s expenditure can be fully accounted for;
- The athlete’s programme will meet the overarching aim and outcomes of this scheme;
- The athlete is committed to fulfil their long-term aspirations to further their sporting pathways within higher performing environments.
Who can apply?
An individual who:
- Has been a permanent resident of Highland for over 12 months and will reside in Highland for a minimum of 8 full months over the next funding period i.e. 1st April 2020 – 31st March 2021;
- EXEMPTION: Further Education students going into their 1st year of study outwith Highland will be considered for application as long as they have been a permanent resident of Highland for over 12 months.
- Is committed to their own development expressed through goals, aspirations, mind-set and dedication;
and is either
An athlete who is currently competing at a national or international level with the potential for competing as a professional athlete; or
- Part of a regional squad in a team sport; or
- Part of a national training squad, working with experts in organisations such as sportscotland and UKsport; or
- Recommended by the relevant Sport’s Governing Body.
The scheme is not open to:
- Whole squads or teams;
- Sports that are not recognised by sportscotland (See link for recognised sports https://sportscotland.org.uk/sport-a-z/);
- Funding for training or competitions that have already happened;
- Late applications that have missed the deadline.
Please note all eligible applicants must operate a bank or building society account in their legal name. Applicants under the age of 18 should use a bank or building society account in the name of a legal parent/guardian.
To find out more download FAQ’s, Application Form