Posts Categorized: Featured Post

Featured Post

Kilmuir Estate

Valtos Crofters

Kilmuir Estate was purchased in 1855 by Captain William Fraser from the Trustee of Lord MacDonald’s Estate. It comprised of the whole parish of Kilmuir and part of the parish of Snizort. This collection contains insight into the Valtos crofters uprising, the great flood of Uig, Rental records that can add to Genealogy research. This… Read more »Read more

Coming Home: WW1 in the Highlands

Coming Home is a travelling exhibition and events programme developed by High Life Highland in collaboration with the Highland Museums Forum to commemorate the end of the First World War in the Highlands. At the heart of the Coming Home exhibition are poignant individual experiences explored through documents, objects and photographs held in Highland museums,… Read more »Read more

Nicolson brothers from Brogaig, Staffin

Alistair Nicolson (1898-1918) pictured standing in the image on the left, with an unidentified soldier, and Norman Nicolson (1897-1918) pictured in the image on the right. Norman  and Alistair Nicolson were sons of John Nicolson, Brogaig, and Catherine (nèe Campbell), originally from South Uist.  They had an older sister Jane who was born in 1895… Read more »Read more

Kyle of Lochalsh Golf Course, 1929

This image of Kyle of Lochalsh Golf Course dates from 1929 and is from our Duncan Macpherson Collection. The land for the 9 hole golf course, just north of Kyle, was donated by Sir Daniel Hamilton. The golfer, wearing plus fours, is pictured with his caddie. The village of Kyleakin, Skye, is visible in the background.Read more

1893 Plan of Kilmaluag Inn, Skye.

This 1893 plan of the Inn at Kilmaluag is taken from our Macdonald and Fraser Solicitors’ Papers. (SL/D123/95).  The Kilmaluag Inn is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map which was surveyed in 1875.  According to the accompanying Ordnance Survey field notebooks the Kilmaluag Inn was: ‘a house one storey in height, thatched, and… Read more »Read more

New Year Card 1915

This is an example of a New Year card sent to Skye from France during the First World War in 1915.  Embroidered greetings cards like this were often sent home from the front at Christmas and New Year time. In parts of Scotland, the old New Year was traditionally marked on 12 January.Read more

Portree Church Plans, 1895

These recently-deposited plans of the Free Presbyterian Church, Portree, were drawn up by Skye architect John MacKenzie in 1895. John MacKenzie came from Elgin but had settled in Skye by the 1870s and was living at Moss Bank, Penefiler, in 1881. He was responsible for a number of buildings in Portree and other parts of Skye…. Read more »Read more

Getting around in 1914

(Above) Local information card produced by Duncan Macpherson Chemist Duncan Macpherson established a pharmacy close to the ferry slipway at Kyle in 1911. As well as supplying medicines, toiletries, and photographic materials, the shop also became an unofficial tourist office. Macpherson began producing folded information cards detailing train and steamer times, events, excursions and postal… Read more »Read more

Sligachan Inn in the 19th Century

This early photograph of Sligachan was taken by Sir William de Wiveleslie Abney (1843-1920).  Abney was an inspector of science schools at the Department of Science and Art in South Kensington and carried out his own photographic research.  He was a keen traveller and often visited the Swiss and Italian Alps.  This photograph has been… Read more »Read more

The Crofters’ War in Skye

From 'The Illustrated London News', 6 Dec 1884

This print from the Illustrated London News depicts John Macpherson (c.1835-1922) from Milovaig, Glendale, addressing a crofters’ meeting in 1884.  Skye crofters hit the news during the 1880s via a series of rent strikes and land raids organised as part of the fight for fairer land laws.  This led them into sometimes violent conflict with the… Read more »Read more