Thurso Town Hall was built in 1870, with the adjacent Carnegie Library built in 1910. After a thorough makeover inside, North Coast Visitor Centre opened in November 2021.
Set across three floors, North Coast Visitor Centre houses a permanent exhibition which uses the Museum’s Collection of objects to tell the story of the county of Caithness from the geological period known as the Devonian (about 416 to 359 million years ago) to the present day.
Exhibitions of note include the Stones Room with locally unearthed Pictish artefacts, a thorough collection and investigation into local botanist and geologist Robert Dick, and a detailed look into the history of Dounreay, and it’s impact on Caithness culturally and socially.
The Collections Blog features regular deep dives into the history of additional artefacts, items, and curios.
The North Coast Visitor Centre is jointly funded by The Highland Council and Dounereay Site Restoration Ltd.