Gardening Tips for the Season
- Dead head flowers to encourage new growth in certain plants such as roses, and fertilize throughout the season.
- Feed grass with a fertilizer each 4 weeks from late spring. Choose a fertilizer which has high levels of nitrogen. Look for 20-5-10 on the label, which should mean 20% nitrogen, 5% phosphate and 10% potassium. We don’t need to worry about watering it this year at least!
- Carry out regular pest and disease checks on your plants and either cut out or apply treatment (organic, please!). Red spider mite were a problem earlier on in the year but are difficult to spot. Look out for brown tips on leaves and the fine threading they produce.
- Pots, containers and hanging baskets need regular watering and feeding with an all-purpose fertilizer.
- Get out and enjoy your garden!