Inverness Castle comprises of two castellated buildings. The first dates from the 1830s and was built for purpose as a courthouse. The second, completed in the 1840s, served as the prison. Sitting on the banks of the River Ness at the heart of Inverness, the Castle is easily the most prominent structure, towering above the city and allowing for fantastic views beyond.
The Castle occupies the site where the original mediaeval fortification once dominated the burgh of Inverness. It alternated in size and architecture over the centuries, with its usage often being adapted to suit the needs of the day. In its long and tempestuous history, the previous Castle was set ablaze more than once by the mighty MacDonald Lords of the Isles, saw entry refused to Mary, Queen of Scots and endured a number of sieges. The Castle, having been reinforced in the early 18th century to accommodate British Government Troops, was finally destroyed by Jacobites at the command of Charles Edward Stuart, prior to the Battle of Culloden in 1746.
The original well from the mediaeval fortress can be found in the grounds of the current Castle, and the beautiful statue of Flora MacDonald, completed in the 1890s by Inverness sculptor Andrew Davidson, looks over towards the River Ness from Castle Hill.